Friday, December 1, 2017

Prayer for me:


    Writing has become prayer for me ... but this is my personal evolution of six decades in the making! 
    Julian of Norwich used the expression, "onyd" with God, to be united with the quiet. Like any art, such "onyd" moments demand patience and practice which run in short supply today. We want instant gratification. To breathe slowly and consciously is a first step. Buddhists describe a practice of "tonglen" which means breathing in darkness and breathing out light on the world. After learning how to be still, we listen attentively. 
    I think too often our public worship takes the place of our prayer. It is only a beginning and ought to be a stimulus for deeper prayer and meditation; but it is no substitute. These days, I find when I actually sit down to write; I have to concentrate very deeply and focus. At times, I am lost in a zone where writing and I become "one" so to speak. It is not easy nor do I expect anything magical. I create a space to be inspired and allow myself to pay attention deeply to what lies ahead. I believe this is what happens when a person communicates with his or her God. Then, we realize we are actually praying or talking to a Higher Being.
    "Peace be with you, friends, " (John 20, 26) as we open our hearts, imagination to new possibilities this Advent-Christmas season 2017 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment