Saturday, May 21, 2011

A 'Caravaggio-moment' in Lourdes, France



   We were tired after 12 hours of traveling.
A small group and I arrived in Lourdes, France.
Too excited to sleep, we chose to follow the night procession honoring the mother of Jesus.
We had come with so many expectations.
I remember when this senior couple, friends of mine, had asked me to organise this pilgrimage. I loved their enthusiasm from that moment.
That evening they were celebrating their 54th wedding anniversary.
   I said to them: "I love this angle of both of you. The holy Mother will look upon you kindly!" Remarkably she did and from that instant, I knew all would be well.
That was my 'Caravaggio-shot!'
   Caravaggio was a great 16th century Italian artist whose use of 'chiaroscuro' - a shift from light to dark - combines a realistic observation of the human state both physical and emotional. With a dramatic use of lighting,I asked the mother of Jesus to help me to see with the eyes of Caravaggio. I was so pleased. After many years of traveling and taking out photos, I limit myself to 50 shots trying to capture what I describe as "moments in time."
   For these friends of mine, married since they were 15 and 17 years old, this pilgrimage would be a lifetime experience and a renewal of their love for each other and their God. Exhausted as we were, I did not think the holy Mother would give us our first blessing.
   Photographers are always working with light, and light is always changing. In contemplative photography, a person only has a moment. I am fond of quoting the 14th century mystic, Lady Julian of Norwich. I like her saying about moments which I have taken as a life motto.
"God, the master of time, never gives the future. He gives only the present, moment by moment." Moments are so precious. One has to capture them or they are lost forever. In that one moment, one camera shot, I knew our pilgrimage would reap great benefits.
I was so grateful. When we have that moment in time, we can spot souls and their history.
   

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Don Ronaldo! Bravo...
    all the best with it!!!

    ReplyDelete