Monday, May 23, 2011

"My life in boxes!"

"My life in boxes"

It is hard to imagine all my worldly goods are packed in these
boxes and ready to move again. I am anxious to see them.
I have never enjoyed moving but so far, I have done so almost
eight times in my adult life. Today it has become a fabric of
modern day living. Many of my professional friends have done
so in the course of their careers: places as far as Dubai to
Taiwan. From my experience, moving is never easy and it is
an arduous task. Early monastics considered moving as an
ascetical practice so that they may truly "become strangers
and nomads on earth." [Hebrews 11, 13]
   I call it a 'rite' of modern life and it is not entirely reserved
for the elite. Listening to the radio in Boston I heard someone
speak of "arrival cities" as a fast moving destination for the
poor leaving rural areas. Moving in any culture or place, losing
an established residence, being separated from the things a
person has grown accustomed to - even in a short time - all
demand a horrendous deal of energy not often chiseled in our
modern minds.
   "Foxes have holes and the birds of the sky have nests; but
the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." [from Matthew's
Gospel, chapter 8] I would like to think even Jesus had a place
to lay his weary head, perhaps a spare bedroom in the home
of his friends Lazarus, Mary and Martha. All great sages at
some time in their lives, remarkably most of them in their early 
thirties: Jesus, Mohammed, Siddhartha have forsaken security in search of a loftier goal. Whatever age or time, the call, the summons, the challenge, the departure can only be endured by the support of others, be they family, a community of ascetics or a hippie commune in an urban setting.
               "I see that wherever I go I find support."
These ancient words come from the mouth of Abba Poemen who like his 4th century contemporaries, embraced the concept
of frequent change of habitat. But not every move has an
eternal search.
   One of my friends, a Lutheran pastor, described to me how
guilty he felt dragging his family across the nation when he was
offered a more lucrative position. His children were traumatized in the first year. His wife nearly left him. 
The possibilities of grace seemed limited. What we learn, however, is what we actually value. Moving affords a fresh perspective on who we are and what we value in ourselves, enriching us in our relationships with others in our lives. Like early monastics, we do find support wherever we go, sometimes surprisingly in strangers!  A smile, a courtesy can do wonders!  I have learnt to see life differently again. I no longer take any comforts for granted.
   I remember one blistery cold morning in Boston. I went to
the Public Library and I noticed so many persons who had
filled the warm nooks of this magnificent building. I was one of'
them, reading, nodding away! My vision heightened that day.
I saw with different eyes, especially those who are vulnerable.    The injustices that are so prevalent in a society become a real focus for action!
   Packed boxes - I am ready to greet you home!

No comments:

Post a Comment