Sunday, December 4, 2011

Focus on the light. Follow the one who will take you out of hell!




Orpheus
Eurydice
Orpheus and Eurydice are two unlikely persons for a comic strip! Sometimes I wish I could rewrite this wonderful Greek myth with a happy ending. Anyway here is the story and my insight!
   Orpheus was a gifted musician who fell in love with Eurydice. Hades, the god of the underworld, became jealous. He captured Eurydice and took her to Hell. Orpheus was sad and decided to travel to the underworld to plead for her. Hades, at first, refused. But then, very callously, he tells Orpheus: "You can have her. It will take you 3 days to bring her back to the land of the living." Orpheus rejoices but Hades places one horrible condition. "You must carry her. However, you must not look at her until you reach the light!"  "If you do," he says, "she will return to me forever!"
Hades now tells Eurydice another story. "Orpheus will carry you to the land of the living. You must constantly look at him before you reach the light."  "If you do not, " he maliciously says, "you will return to me forever!"  Poor Eurydice cannot understand why Orpheus will not look at her.
Eurydice's dilemma: "If I do not look at him; I will die!"
Orpheus' dilemma:   "If I look at her; I will die!"
We each face our individual struggles. How do we make it out of hell? We keep on smiling and try to look forward. We concentrate on the Light to see where we are going. If we look too closely; we can be blinded. Damn if we do; damn if we don't!
   Orpheus and Eurydice are in our hearts. Perhaps if we focus on the light of our faith, follow the one carrying us without complaint; we may get out of hell! Can we keep that smile on the journey?
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment