Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Tsubo-niwa challenge on a balcony!

   "Tsubo-niwa" comes from the Japanese meaning "petite gardens" roughly the size of a king size mattress. "Tsubo" is a local unit of measurement about 35.5 square feet. "Niwa" means garden. This idea has its roots in 8th-9th century Kyoto where tiny gardens were often created. Even with my limited space, it is possible to dream of such a garden. The real-live Chinese garden in the centre of my collage is my inspiration. How do you create a physical area of peace, an oasis in your own home? With some imagination, it can become a reality, even with limited resources.
   My first item was a decorative vase I found lying in my garage. Some bells from Krakow reminded me of peace. A few dry sticks and branches from the river front gave me some impetus to continue! My "niwa" is a work in progress. My photo-collage urges me to keep on trying in conditions that are almost intolerable for any type of garden. I live in the Midwest where winters are severe.
   Traditionally, "tsubo-niwa" can include moss covering the ground or a rock/trees like momiji or Japanese maple whose leaves change color in Fall. This is not possible for my interpretation. So seasonal dry branches will have to do. Accents commonly include stone lanterns and tsukubai or a small basin with a bamboo water stand that was originally intended for people to purify themselves by washing their hands. I substituted this for wooden bells from Poland. They do not summon you to wash your hands but simply remind me of a presence. For those who truly want to create an authentic tsubo-niwa garden, I suggest researching Tokuichi Yoshimura on the internet, an Osaka-based architect who has written numerous books on Japanese gardens.
   For those who can afford it, tsubo-niwa sets can be bought online and installed on a balcony or patio. Prices vary. The impact of tsubo-niwa gardens has attracted international attention. I am simply trying to imitate something that bears a resemblance. Nonetheless, I like the concept because it allows people like me who do not have a garden to create something from nothing and to make one's environment peaceful. I am still working on mine. It continues from within. Keep in touch!  +Don Ronaldo

No comments:

Post a Comment