Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mother's Day: words of life inspired by two mothers!


"Give me a word that I may live!" Upon leaving the presence of a holy ascetic in the desert, the ancient 4th century pilgrim would ask for a blessing with this refrain. The desert father or mother would offer a word or phrase. The person, who received that 'word of life,' would accept it as God-given. Many lives were transformed by ruminating such wisdom.
   Here are 2 'words of life' inspired by Mamie and Mama. Their histories have touched my perspective on life:
   I.            "Always trust in Divine Providence."
  II.            "Have a grateful heart."

I.     Always trust in Divine Providence.
My grandparents died young: Nellie was 25 years old; Lio was 28 years old. Looking back at her own life, my mother Angela (left) remarked: "God always had his protective hands over us and really loved us even though my siblings and I lost our parents at a very young age." "Son," she would often say  me: "Always trust in Divine Providence." As I grew older, I began to understand my mother's wisdom. In experiencing death so early in life, she taught me that when we know where we are headed; when we have goals and aspirations; when we trust our eternal home is heaven; we become more tolerant, kinder and less fretful. This belief was not so easy to accept. Mother's resolute and determined spirit made that difference. That trust has to come from a heart ready and open to what life offers: the good, the bad, the indifferent.

II.    Have a grateful heart.
Grateful for everything: for what life gives and takes away! Mama
(center), 'Jele' (Helen in English) exemplified gratitude. She was the mother of my best friend from the beautiful city of Dubrovnik. She had lived through many wars and disasters; but, always had a smile on her face, never one to give into despair. I enjoyed her company. In many ways, she reminded me of my own mother. She learnt the lessons of patience over a lifetime. "Nema problema" she would often hum in her native tongue. "No problem!" is equally the perennial phrase of many Caribbean people. "When we lose much," she said, "it is easy to become bitter. Gratitude, on the other hand, makes us better!" The wisdom of her grateful heart continues to echo in mine.       
             Happy Mother's Day to all from Don Ronaldo!

No comments:

Post a Comment