Sunday, November 10, 2013

Compliment more ... Complain less!



Vienna, Austria, is one of Europe's most beautiful cities. Here is my photo of the grounds of the Belvedere Palace which houses the artist Klimt's most famous portrait, "The Kiss". These words were written to my brothers in the Caribbean after I had visited Austria two years ago:
                        "I went to see Klimt's incredible painting - my very own personal pilgrimage! On the immaculate grounds, I was reading an article on the city written by a British journalist describing the city as a place where its citizens love to complain. I could not help but think of our island-home. I never thought of us having something in common with the Viennese people who have the best facilities I have ever experienced in any part of Europe. Yes, it is true: they do have mountain spring water running through their taps. Yes, it is a safe city. They have the finest museums, concert halls, good health care and a remarkable educational system to be envied by any country. Above all, they have a stable democracy! But I hear complaints or rather grumbling. "Raunzen" is their word for grumbling or being grouchy. They "raunzen" a lot. So, why fuss about grumbling? I know from my own monastic experience when monks grumble (St. Benedict calls it "murmuring.") the atmosphere can easily be poisoned. The saint describes it as the enemy of the monastery. Murmuring can destroy beauty in any serene surrounding. Unfortunately, we grumble as well. We forget we live in a tropical island of incredible delights with a melange of peoples and cultures. Too often we dismiss the larger picture. Sometimes we sound like the Viennese themselves with their "Ja, ja, leider!". Translated: "all is no good ... we live in the pits!" I think we should all value what we have. Compliment more. Complain less.
   Brothers, you are a treasure. Remember our mother realized if five of us were content; we would listen and therefore, obey her more easily. She was right. To listen is to obey. We complain because we do not listen. Murmuring has been described as "destructive to the benefit of obedience." We ought to remove complaints from our hearts wherever life takes us.
   I like the words: "Mit dir ist alles schon!" which translates on a deeper level as "If you are with me ... all is fine." Wherever I travel, you are always with me. More compliments, less complaints!" +Ronaldo

No comments:

Post a Comment