Sunday, October 1, 2017

On Burns & Novick's documentary, 'The Vietnam War' ...

   September 17th-28th 2017: Burns and Novick's Vietnam War documentary was riveting, "part historical narrative, part cultural exploration, part therapy" as one writer notes. So much pain, so much tragedy! This series is a tremendous reflection for future generations to come. I encourage many to view the series. My own experience at that time revolves around my cousin Steve who actually joined the Navy in the 70's. I wanted to follow him and nearly did, even enlisting. When Mother heard about this; she ordered me back to Trinidad where I was born, saying "you might be mistaken for the enemy!" (I am part Chinese.) In many ways, she saved my life. She certainly did not want to lose her first-born son. I obeyed. I was 18 years old. Two years later influenced by the peace movements of the time and when the war finally ended; I joined the local monastery, choosing to dedicate my life to the pursuit of peace rather than an American dream. 
   Yes, we were young, idealistic and believed we could change the world. As an older man today, I am more realistic. I still believe in peace even though I left the monastery 30 years ago.

In memoriam +Steve V. who died in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment