Thursday, April 12, 2018

Tribute to +Father Pat O'Brien, one incredible gentleman!

News of Father Pat's passing caught me off guard as my family was burying my beloved sister-in-law, Joy. I wrote these words to share with many friends who knew him well.
         
            "When Irish eyes are smiling!"  that immortal 1912 song captures Father Pat O'Brien. I remember those mischievous eyes of a young Irish boy! He had the disposition of a child - kindhearted to the core and to me, the most caring Irish priest I have met and worked alongside - indeed, a true son of Ireland. Like many who worked with Pat, we knew instinctively we were in the presence of a Christian gentleman without pretensions; one who prided himself as a servant of Christ and an exemplary worker for the Church.
   Hospitality was a key element in his spirituality. Being hospitable to the guest, according to St. Benedict, was paramount in meeting Christ. "I came as a guest, and you received Me." I personally experienced this virtue in Pat's dealings with the sick, the infirm and the poor of his parish in Houma, Louisiana. He also had that uncanny flair to deal with peoples of all ages and backgrounds. A unique priest among many! When we had organized a group of youth from the Prairies of North Dakota to meet the youth of Houma, Louisiana; he said to me: "Ah... the young people finally got it! ... meeting Christ in the stranger!" He was so proud of them.
   I have numerous stories working with Father Pat in the "Lord's vineyard," as we say and will treasure them in my heart. He would often say to me: "Never forget: the customer is always right! Never undervalue or under estimate the loyalty and generosity of the common man! We're here to serve and not to be served!"
   Well done, servus servorum Dei, good servant of the servants of God, now you can enter your Father's House. Farewell. Until I see those mischievous Irish eyes, telling me one day: Welcome home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment