Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Tribute to my sister-in-law, +Joy who died of cancer on April 3rd

These words were read by my godchild in Trinidad at the funeral service of my sister-in-law +Joy pictured here at her wedding to my brother 33 years ago.

Ancient Egyptians believed that when they died; their God would ask them two questions. The first question was: Did you bring joy? The second: Did you find joy? How deeply etched in my memory the very first wedding I was honored to witness back home in Trinidad as a newly ordained deacon. We mourn Joy's passing and return to our Heavenly Father. I can safely say 33 years later, she remained faithful to her marriage vows that were manifested in her love for her husband and their two beloved children. Yes, indeed, my sister-in-law brought us joy and in her, we found joy!
   She was a role model as wife, mother and a teacher, helping many generations of students to discover and appreciate the gift of Science. She was a good friend, always considerate, open-minded and optimistic about life. In effect, this is what joy truly means. I am sure her kindness and joyful spirit will be remembered for many years to come. She touched many lives in a positive way; and no doubt, will be greatly missed. As the saying goes: "Our loss is heaven's gain!" Unknown to many, she was a great dancer and I loved to see her and my brother dance together. A delight to watch them: "hit the floor!"
   The very first time, I met Joy was in the local monastery as a young monk. My brother had a habit of introducing me to all his girlfriends, seeking my advice on a suitable wife. When I first say Joy; I like her immediately. While we were walking on the monastery grounds; one of the monks asked me: "Who is this pretty woman? What is her name?" I replied: "Joy!" to which he answered: "She'll be a joy to your brother!" I turned to my brother and said: "God has spoken loudly. Marry Joy!" My brother, being a smart fellow realized what a treasure he had encountered and took my advice. They were married a year later. I have many other fond memories of Joy that I will treasure in my heart. At this difficult time, we would also like to thank God for the gift of life, love and knowledge that he has bestowed upon her.
   May the author of Life and his angels now accompany her to the eternal dwelling prepared for those with loving hearts.
   May the light of the heavenly Jerusalem shine brightly on her.
   May she be embraced by Yahweh, her God, in the place where there is no more mourning, pain; but only peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
   Adieu, sister. Farewell. We love you. Until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment