Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Thank you on behalf of Daniel M.

My friend Daniel, co-author of this blog, died on September 23rd 2018 and his funeral service was held at St. Mary's Church, Grand Forks, on September 27th 2018 while I was in Trinidad burying the cremated remains of my beloved brother "Ming." We buried Daniel's remains on October 12th 2018. I would like to share this letter with so many of you who have sent messages and attended his services. It is impossible to write everyone.
                  "Dear friends,
On behalf of Daniel's brother Pavo and his wife, Elvira, their families and many others, I would like to thank you for your kindness. To the St. Mary's community, staff, the Cemetery Board, Fathers Gross and Braun, I want to convey my heart-felt gratitude for all you have done for our brother. To Bishop Folda, Monsignor Goering, Father Kadlec and to the numerous priests and parishioners who attended his funeral Mass and grave side service, thank you. To those who provided meals after the services, thank you also. Daniel would have been overwhelmed by your affection and respect for him.
   "In the evening of our lives, we will be judged by our loving." Daniel tried to live out these profound words of St. John of the Cross whom he admired. In the last month of our lives, we adhered to the monastic discipline of silence. I will always appreciate what we have learnt and studied in the three and half decades I have known Daniel. That search for God, in the words of St. Justin, the Greek "palaois tis presbyteis," his name for Wisdom, was never far from him. The photo taken on our last trip to Anzio, Rome, early this February, captures something of this intense desire.
   I conclude with Daniel's words: "I am grateful for people like yourselves who have made all the difference in my life. It has been an honor to serve you."
           God bless us, everyone. Sincerely, Ronaldo."

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful tribute to Father Dan. We are so lucky to have met him , traveled to Italy with him and for him to baptize our granddaughter. Love to yo Ron
    Jr and Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks 🙏 It was our privilege to have accompanied you on one of our pilgrimages. God bless you and your loved ones.

      Delete