Thursday, November 1, 2018

In memoriam: 7 persons in my life this 2018 & that 'awful grace of God'

 Quote 1 from Michelangelo reminds me of my friend Daniel who died on September 23rd. He was a good man, generous to a fault and believed in the virtue of tolerance.
                         
 Quote 2 from Gibran reminds me of my brother Wayne who died on June 8th. He did not fear death and boldly lived his life with courage. 
Quote 3 from Socrates reminds me of my beloved friend Gloria who died on May 21st. She lived her life fiercely without compromise and was not afraid of taking risks even in her senior years. 
 Quote 4 from Dickinson reminds me of my sister-in-law Joy who died on April 3rd. She was a brilliant teacher, loved and respected by her students and family. She lives on in us forever.
 Quote 5 from Cicero reminds me of my friend Robin who died on September 30th. Her infectious smile and disposition will be kept alive in the hearts of her family and friends. 
 Quote 6 from Bonaparte reminds me of my mentor Father Pat who died on April 12th. His Irish humor and fairness urge us to live life with honor.
 Quote 7 from da Vinci reminds me of my cousin Leo who died on April 23rd. While living life to the fullest, he learnt the wisdom of 'dying to oneself' daily. 

How I miss my friends and relatives who died this year! It has and continues to be a challenge. The 5th century Greek poet Aeschylus has written: "In our sleep, pain, which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our despair, against our will, comes wisdom, through that awful grace of God." I wish I did not know that wisdom. In the words of St. John Chrysostom, my loved ones are now "wherever I am and no longer where they were before." I conclude with Rumi, the 13th century Persian poet:

No comments:

Post a Comment