Friday, November 16, 2018

An appreciation from my friend Daniel

   True and meaningful friendship is a gift to be sincerely desired, each demanding as I described in my book, From Heart to Heart, "the magnanimity of the other" (magnanimitate alterius sustineri).
   Over the last 33 years, Daniel and I created pockets of friendship in the churches, the nursing homes, the pilgrimages, the retreats we conducted and schools where we studied, wrote, taught, worked or lived. How grateful we are! Thank you.
   I would like to share this incredible photo I took in my room one early morning at a low point in my grieving. It seemed as if he were saying, "I have not forgotten you." The ancient writers describe such a moment as a consolation from God. 
   May we comforted by our good friends who, in the words of the theologian Karl Rahner, become sublime in life-after-life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment