Friday, December 7, 2018

The gift of time this Christmas

   A Christmas gift of time: During the Advent-Christmas season, I write each of my brothers a letter. I have been doing such for quite while. I try to write in the neatest possible way with the nicest paper I can find. It helps me to improve my own penmanship, an almost forgotten talent today.
   I re-discovered this custom a few years ago when I read about some people who in spite of being connected electronically, would actually write a letter in the old fashioned way: pen and paper, if it was something personal. This habit became my weekly winter meditation. I have to center myself away from our busy world and try to avoid distractions. Writing such precise and personal letters take great effort and patience.
   My own mother wrote me weekly when she was alive. I enjoyed her homey letters and the time she took in writing them. One need not be an accomplished writer. If you can tell the truth about what is happening around you and other people; your words can be quite appealing. So, I decided, at least, once a year to put aside my emailing or texting and compose handwritten Christmas letters. I love to write; but, it does not mean that you have to be a professional writer.  
   An empty page, a pen and voila! Then, adopt a willingness to bare one's heart and embrace a moment. This year, I remind my brothers again, "don't buy me any presents". Just write me a letter. 
   Here is my Christmas suggestion for my readers this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment