Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Blogging and a yellow rose"


   Blogs are a new world to me. I am learning something new
each day. Recently, I thought I had lost my list of followers.
Perhaps, I had to start all over again. I was about to quit.
Then, I noticed an invitation to a wedding on my desk.
A single yellow rose came to mind!
   Beautiful Rachel is getting married. I wrote her a note:
"I am so proud of you I could cry!" Almost 20 years ago, her
class of 10 made their First Communion in a prairie church
I served. I followed these brilliant young people through their
Confirmation, High School and College graduation. I was
there when her beloved father died, consoling her mother
through many agonizing years. Her group succeeded beyond
my wildest expectations, entering fields of medicine and law.
   A yellow rose is very symbolic to me. I was in my First
Communion class when I first gave my mother a yellow rose
on mother's day that year. It was her favorite color in life and
in death. The color yellow has a different meaning for people in
various cultures. But for me, it will always signify love.
   A rainy day of anxiety turned out to be a day of inspiration!
With all the pains and joys you have experienced in your life,
I wrote her: "Always trust in Divine Providence!" Those were
words I used at her father's funeral. These were the words my
own mother had said to me: "Son, always trust in Divine
Providence. My sister and brother had lost our parents when
we were very young. Somehow God had his protective hands
over us and he will, over you!" Trusting in Divine Providence
is not fashionable today but it is my word to a young lawyer
and her beloved. I often repeat these idealistic words to couples
about to get married: "let your life become a partnership of
life and love; a covenant of fidelity; a bond of irrevocable
personal consent."
   For me, they carry within them something beyond me, beyond
our expectations. A year ago, I challenged another group of 10
from the bayous. I hope twenty years from now, they too would
have responded. Charisma is a gift from the Almighty and rarely comes our way. An individual is always touched by the
love with which others do things. Rachel and her class of 10
proved to me it is possible. In the words of Teresa of Avila:
"God does not look so much at the magnitude of anything we
do as at the love with which we do it!"

1 comment: