Saturday, May 21, 2011

Surprises when we open our eyes


   "The Word became flesh and pitched his tent among us..."
I always liked this translation of "God dwelling among us and becoming human." To me it is like a surprise like holding the sun in your hands. Today is a rainy day. My friend Peggy would say: "No. It is a day full of liquid sunshine." How difficult it is for all of us to see surprises. God surprised us in the middle of the night and became human. On this rainy day, I can still see the sun. "Yeah, Ronald, I can hold the sun in my hands!"
   Surprise is one of God's best gifts. It is mysterious and paradoxical so much so that the field of vision is both narrowed down and opened up. Can I allow myself to be surprised on this awful miserable day? May our hearts be opened to the call of the Spirit as we think of the surprises that await us this weekend. Truth seekers say by this practice of attentiveness, we can see with delight, with wonder, with love and with reverence and then, behold with so much gratitude: we begin to be filled with wonder.
   It was in such that "the Word became flesh and pitched his tent
among us." How fortunate for believers!
We may not see the first time but perhaps this weekend, we can open our eyes and see. Yes, "liquid sunshine!" 
   Apertis oculis nostris!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful reflection Don Ronaldo! Glad to see you have entered the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful words....truly a gift from the Lord. Thanks for sharing your reflections...they come to life on paper.

    ReplyDelete