Friday, May 20, 2011

Rebecca's tears

Rebecca cried with such overflowing tears. My heart sank.
Her grandparents were crying on hearing that I was leaving their quiet Louisiana town. I remember her today as I listen to the rain drops. She was a young girl caught in hell and I was there to help 2 years ago. Now it was time for me to go!
     "You stole our hearts and now you are leaving!"
I remember Bregetta in one of my adult classes asking me:
"Are we spiritual beings trying to be human?" Yes, we humans lousy as we are, try to be spiritual. I also remember Morris, dying of cancer on the Prairies. From his 'bed of suffering,' he said to me: "Young man, kiss my wife for me!" I was taken aback as his wife was crying. The tears of Rebecca remind me of them and so many others. She promised me she would listen to her grandparents whose weary trusting eyes poured out so much love for me their friend. I could not stop crying. She promised me she would make something of her life and not become another tragic statistic from a poor community. I could not stop crying.And what of the pastor's tired heart on a cold rainy New England day? God's transformation of us unites us all with our deepest longings. "I will make all things new." (Rev. 21, 5)Spring cold showers then and now can touch hardened hearts as I see Rebecca crying for a father she saw in me. I remember Morris as he taught me the true value of holiness. May their tears and those of so many remind us:
"... see, everything has become new." (2 Cor.5, 17)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you made quite an impression. I doubt she'll forget you, even though her future is not written in stone, at least she had a good first Act.

    ReplyDelete