Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

"From your Valentine" he wrote. Three simple words that seem to cast a spell upon our generation and century! Now his name is associated with roses and chocolate. Valentine was one of the early Christian martyrs who the night before he died, wrote a note of thanks to the daughter of the jailer where he was imprisoned. "Oh, by the way... thanks!"  That Oh by the way is always indicative of what a person really wants to say to you. It comes from the heart.
38 years ago I decided to join our local monastery. My father was bitterly opposed to his son's decision. On the day the taxi came for me, I noticed my father's eyes for the first time - swelling up with tears, he said: "... and by the way, if things don't work out, you always have a home here." It was his most endearing word to me and I realized what he was saying. I was leaving home and his heart began to speak. The "oh, by the way..." was the signal. Notice Jesus' heavy statement in the beginning. "This is my commandment: love one another..." Then, he progresses: "... and by the way... I no longer speak to you as slaves... instead I call you friends." He knew he was leaving them for good because he was about to lay down his life. He did this freely not slavishly. He acted out of friendship-love. That love went all the way to Calvary. It is selfless. He gave himself for us. It is understanding. He put up with the weaknesses of his disciples. He accepted them inspite of themselves. That love is sacrifice. The other side of love is about challenge and commitment. Such love is forgiveness, what Christians call agape-love. So easy to talk the talk of love; but to walk the walk of love as Valentine really did and as Jesus truly showed is different. And "oh, by the way, love one another as I've shown you..."                                  "From your Ronaldo"

No comments:

Post a Comment