Monday, October 1, 2012

Lots of Love! ... yes ... but, Locks of Love?... hmm

   Strolling this summer along the pedestrian path of the Hohenzollern Bridge overlooking the grand cathedral in Koln, Germany, I noticed these "locks of love." I had read about them but actually seeing these hundreds of locks distracted me from the beauty of the area. The locks demanded my attention. I was trying to figure out their significance. How did this tradition begin across Europe and eventually, found its way to Seoul and Tokyo?
   The custom was inspired about 5 years ago by a novel written by Federico Moccia in which he describes a young couple placing a bicycle lock around a lamp post and then, throwing the key into the Tiber River. The gesture was meant to eternalize the couple's locking their hearts together. What followed was a frenzy of locks from Ponte Milvio overlooking the Tiber in Rome to Pont des Arts, Pont de l'Archeveche in Paris and many other places! The presence of these locks as shown in my photo from Germany left me dazzled. I almost forgot why I was walking on this bridge to view Koln's magnificent Cathedral! Here I'm writing about them.
   For Roman officials acting on complaints from residents, a fine of $50 euro was introduced to any couple found attaching a lock to a bridge! I felt as if the Hohenzollern Bridge would collapse under the weight of couples' undying love for each other! Commenting on people's love symbolism seems almost unkind. "Love is kind." Saint Paul tells us, "love is not inflated nor is it rude. Love does not seek its own interest and certainly does not brood." I am brooding over some lovers' symbols. But love is also beauty. Surely these young lovers are missing a key element. I tend to agree with Alain Badiou, a French philosopher, "love is a risk." The idea of lovers "locking up their affection" and "tossing the key into a river" does not appeal to me. If I were to rewrite Moccia's novel, I would have the young couple throw roses into the Tiber and petals strewn on the bridge. At least it's more organic!
   Locks for doors, roses for lovers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment