Monday, October 8, 2012

Watch out for my nephew!

This photo collage of the sons of my brothers/cousins shows diversity in my family. It is frightening for me and their parents to believe that they are at risk in a world of prejudice and hatred. Some months ago in Sanford, FL, an Afro-American teen, Trayvon Martin, met an untimely death. George Zimmerman, 28, pulled the trigger, he said, "in self-defence." The case is still pending.
   I was stunned by 2 issues: race and guns. From the 1980's, gun lobbyists hold up their Second Amendment rights. They are not leaving. Rational gun restrictions are not on their target-list. I live among people who treasure their guns; some of my best friends consider hunting a hobby. Most of them are sane in their use of their weapons. I am also equally sensitive to racial profiling and stereotyping. My nephews/nieces form a kaleidoscope, a wide Creole spectrum of colors, races, cultures. They too are aware racism is not leaving. Toure, author of "Who's afraid of post-blackness?" writes these powerful words: "Racism is about reminding you that you're less human, less valuable, less worthy, less beautiful, less intelligent. It's about prejudging you as violent, fearsome, a threat."
   When this incident occurred, I was angry at an injustice. It took me awhile before I could print these words. How do we overcome prejudice? Toure continues, "Know your value. Know how terrific you are. Never forget that. No-one can damage your spirit. The best revenge is surviving and living well!" Rational gun control will save lives. Prejudice can kill. It is not only those who wear hoodies or strangers who are in danger. When we stereotype, all of us are!
   Please watch out for my nephew! He may be in the neighborhood visiting his favorite uncle!

No comments:

Post a Comment