Saturday, June 8, 2013

An Appreciation of +Betty, artist, par excellence

"After Katrina" - vision of Don Ronaldo, painted by his friend, Betty
  
   Beauty is eternity born into human existence. Betty epitomized these words. Her quest for the "Beautiful," another name for God, was to bring that beauty in her paintings and in her relationships. She lived life intensely. Her joie de vivre was contagious bringing beauty in everything she touched. She had the Midas touch.
   I met Betty 9 years ago when I was in Louisiana. On my first week in the area, I visited the Artists' Guild where she  volunteered her time and dearly loved her fellow artists. She had a great admiration for all forms of art. That same week an exhibition of her work was displayed and I inquired about her, wishing to meet this talented artist whose Impressionist-style intrigued me. Timidly, I went to her house, a complete stranger knocking at her door! I apologized for my curiosity after introducing myself. We began talking immediately about art and the quest for Beauty in our world, clouded sometimes by too much pain and violence. In conversation, I remembered quoting Henry David Thoreau, a 19th century writer, "in order to be fully awake to reality we must reflect deeply on the wonders of life." We became kindred spirits, discussing the wonders of art/life whenever we met. In the intervening years, we organized an annual Artists' Day of Prayer and Painting on the grounds of the Retreat Center. We inspired each other to write or to paint. Sometimes I would describe to her the visions I saw in my poet's eye. She would always surprise me with an interpretation. I commissioned her to paint 2 of these visions. As I look at them now, I am so eternally grateful for our humble collaboration - the poet and the artist. She lived the words of the Russian painter, Kandinsky: "that famous internal necessity to create." Both of us admired the Impressionists, especially Monet and Renoir. I enjoyed listening to her story about seeing "Monet's Lilies" in Paris. "I had no idea where I was going. I had only one day in Paris and I was determined to see Monet's work!" she said to me.  "Without knowing a word of French," she continued, "I took a taxi and went directly to the museum!" Her stubborn resolve worked. Her wish was fulfilled.
   Before Betty died of an aggressive cancer, I told her the story of the elderly Renoir once asked by his most talented student, Matisse, "Master, why continue to paint with your crippling arthritis?" My friend loved this response and later, adopted it: "the pain passes but the beauty remains!"
   Today, I wish to honor the memory of this quintessential Southern lady who treasured beauty, described by the writer, Rollo May, as "that resplendent gown of God." Now she knows it fully!
                                  

                   
                                    







No comments:

Post a Comment