Saturday, February 11, 2017

Lourdes memory on February 11th:


   February 11th is a significant moment in the city of Lourdes, France. Here are two of my photos on a visit to this beautiful sanctuary some years ago. The story of the mystic Bernadette is filled with optimism and hope which have inspired millions of visitors. The first photo shows the spot where the teen was asked in 1858 to drink from a stream. 
   Obediently she went to the 'Gave,' the only stream she could see. According to Bernadette, Mary, the mother of Jesus, pointed her to a spot which had a little trickle of water close-by. "When I got to it," she said, "I could only find a few drops, mostly mud. I cupped my hands to catch some liquid without success and then, I started to scrape the ground. I managed to find a few drops of water but only at the fourth attempt." 
   This spring continues to flow even today and has been a source 
of healing for thousands of people, physically, emotionally and
spiritually. I do not think you have to be a believer to love this story
but, like many of those who learnt the lessons of trust, faith's
demands point us to "scraping the messiness of our lives" to find
the cool waters of hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment